In September 2015 Kent State University officially rolled out the expansion of the campus bike share project into downtown Kent.
It was a proud moment for downtown — and not even a full year later, the downtown bike rental station at the PARTA parking deck has climbed the ranks from the 8th to the 3rd busiest bike rental location in the KSU FlashFleet network.
I’ve seen the numbers on paper but nothing says success like seeing all the bikes lined up outside a downtown business.
The downtown bike share station is located near the intersection of Erie Street and Haymaker Parkway across from the Esplanade — between the KSU Hotel/Conference Center and the PARTA parking deck. If you know where the Veterans Memorial is on Erie Street, you can’t miss the bike docking station right next to it.
The bike share program isn’t just for students; it’s got something for everyone — and it’s all accessible through a mobile phone app.
Here’s a break down of the pricing from the KSU Rec Center web site:
The Rec Center web page offers simple explanation for how to get started that I’ve copied below:
How It Works
How to Register
Four ways to sign up using your credit or debit card:
- At a Flashfleet kiosk
- On the nextbike mobile app available for download on Google Play, iTunes App store, or the Windows Phone Store.
- Using the online form above
- By calling 330-474-0785330-474-0785
Ways to Rent
- Smartphone app
- On-board computer
- Flashfleet kiosk at Risman Plaza or downtown Kent
- Calling customer service at 330-474-0785330-474-0785
During the Ride
- Remove cable from bike fork and secure it in the basket holder
- During the rental, park temporarily by using the cable lock on any bike dock
- Until the bike is returned to a Flashfleet dock, rental time will continue to accrue
- To unlock the bike again, enter unlock code into the on-board computer
- Ride your bike anywhere though campus and downtown Kent. Should you need to take a quick stop during your rental, you may temporarily lock the bike outside of the official stations using the cable lock.
- Be sure to keep track of your time. Until your bike is returned to an official station, time will continue to count against your time limit and your account will be charged.
- Return bikes to any Flashfleet station or kiosk.
- Insert the bike into the dock, lock it with the cable lock and confirm the return via the on-board computer.
- At docking station: push the front wheel of the bike into the dock and lock basket lock through dock into bike.
- If station is full: lock bike to itself through the front wheel with cable lock and leave it next to the station.Feel free to call customer service to return
- Feel free to call customer service to return or confirm return at: 330-474-0785330-474-0785
- Calling 330-474-0785330-474-0785
- Via the nextbike mobile app
- Emailing Flash_Fleet@kent.edu